top of page
  • Elenor MacGregor

Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies. Nutrition tips For Boosting Metabolism

Updated: Jun 1

With summer here, many parents and kids are ready to get outside and play. The pools are open, the weather is nice and kids are often happy to be out and about. Some parents are using this time to focus on getting healthy and let's be honest healthy mothers equals healthy babies & kids. But did you know that when it comes to metabolism exercise is only 20% of the equation? Nutrition is the other 80%.


If you've noticed that you or your kid's metabolism seems slow, you or they are gaining weight, or have low energy levels, then this information is a must-read for you!

While there can be many reasons for this that should be investigated there are two factors worth looking at as part of a comprehensive evaluation:

✅ Insulin Resistance

✅ Chronic Inflammation


But don't worry, there's good news! We have plenty of ways to help reverse these issues and support you and your child's health.


A recent study has uncovered a direct connection between the levels of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in the blood and essential markers of metabolic health in middle-aged adults.

😥 Higher levels of omega-6 were found to be associated with poorer insulin resistance, increased inflammation, and unfavorable cholesterol levels. Clearly not something we want for our little ones!

😀 On the other hand, higher levels of omega-3 were linked to healthier metabolic markers, which is fantastic news for your child's well-being.

Guess what? It's actually quite simple to influence this by adjusting the foods you and your child eats!


✖️ Omega-6 fats are commonly found in refined oils and processed foods, which we should try to minimize in our children's diets.


✔️ On the other hand, omega-3 fats can be obtained from nuts, seeds, and seafood, and these should be encouraged as part of a healthy eating plan for your child.

As an integrative holistic pediatrician, I specialize in working with parents like you to discover foods that fit your family's lifestyle while promoting your child's overall health. Let's get started on this journey together!

Remember, you have the power to make a positive difference in your child's well-being. Let's make it happen! 🙌






Dr. Ellie smiling. She is wearing a black top and is sitting by an arrangement of wheat fronds.


When you're ready here's how Dr. Ellie can help: 


When your child, teen or young adult child is grappling with gut issues, skin issues, menstrual problems, focus issues, hyperactivity, sleep problems, anxiety, depression, or perfectionism you know they are suffering.  Tummy and headaches, getting sick a lot, and feeling run down take a toll on your child and on you. 


You want to help the ones you love ease their suffering and alleviate their symptoms by 

addressing their underlying medical conditions without going straight to adding pharmaceutical medications that can come with their own set of adverse side effects and complications.


As a holistic pediatrician, I uncover and treat the underlying root causes of symptoms while working to reduce the need for medications so they can get back to being a kid and reclaim their childhood joy. 


With advanced diagnostic testing and a personalized treatment program I take a thoughtful,  thorough, and caring medical approach to address your child’s health.  We will address genetic factors, diet, gut health, lifestyle as I walk hand in hand with you and your child toward sustainable well being, resilience, and joy.



For more information on holistic health check out my other posts:



Dr. Ellie smiling. She is wearing a blue floral dress and is in front of golden foliage
Dr. Ellie

Dr. Ellie MacGregor is a holistic integrative and functional medicine pediatrician who specializes in the treatment of celiac disease, food allergies, ADHD, anxiety, depression, gut issues, eczema, and other recurring symptoms using a blend the best of conventional and alternative therapies to prioritize your child's health..  She is the owner of Middle Path Integrative Pediatrics with over 14 years of experience.  Dr. Ellie MacGregor helps readers separate fact from spin to make informed decisions about their health and the health of their children.


Get Dr. Ellie’s Guide to Whole Child Health for more information or view her website to get in touch. 






Commenti


bottom of page